[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:08:41 PDT 2011

> John counters with his:
>
> That's just about the stupidest idea I've heard from you Steve.  How can
> there be love if there is no choice in the matter?

How could you help being anything but compassionate toward another
when you recognize that "there but by forces beyond my control go I"?
It is only by proudly claiming free will that we can start to believe
that other people deserve all their miseries and that we, the
economically lucky, deserve our wealth (see Gladwell's Outliers and
Taleb's Black Swan).

Please note, John, that I have always granted that people make
choices, the question is that in what sense are those choices made
freely? We have will, but what is _free_ will?