[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:57:27 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Horse <horse at darkstar.uk.net> wrote:
> So we're kind of back to the idea that 'Free Will' is an illusion!

Sam Harris goes further to say that those who meditate learn that
illusion of free will is itself an illusion:

"It is generally argued that our sense of free will presents a
compelling mystery: on the one hand, it is impossible to make sense of
in causal terms; on the other, we feel that we are the authors of our
own actions. However, I think that this mystery is itself a symptom of
our confusion. It is not that free will is simply an illusion: our
experience is not merely delivering a distorted view of reality;
rather, we are mistaken about the character of our experience. We do
not feel as free as we think we do. Our sense of our own freedom
results from our not paying close attention to what it is like to be
ourselves in the world. The moment we do pay attention, we begin to
see that free will is nowhere to be found, and our subjectivity is
perfectly compatible with this truth. Thoughts and intentions simply
arise in the mind. What else could they do? The truth about us is
stranger than many suppose: the illusion of free will is itself an
illusion."