[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:52:26 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM,  <craigerb at comcast.net> wrote:
> The complete interview is accessible at
> http://reason.com/archives/2003/05/01/pulling-our-own-strings.

> Good antidote to the view that thoughts "just come to us".

Having read the entire interview with Dennett, I see know
incompatibility with his views and mine nor with his, Harris's, and
Pirsig's with regard to free will. Like Pirsig, Dennett denies the
usual understanding of free will as a metaphysical "chooser" standing
behind the brain and reformulates the issue of freedom as a "freedom
to" rather than a "freedom from" put in opposition to determinism.
Likewise he sees responsibility not as an issue of control but of the
capability to reflect to aid in making make good decisions.

Craig, I must have missed the part where he said the we are indeed the
author of our thoughts. If you still think so, I suggest you try
sitting for a good half hour and will yourself to not think about
anything at all during that half hour. As your thought come unbidden
anyway, then ask yourself where these thoughts come from.