[MD] Free Will

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:26:00 PDT 2011

Matt said:
It was to say that if determinism is the thesis that we are caught up
in causal chains, then it is not destructive of moral reasoning
because moral reasoning is something that occurs partly _because_
of causal chains.  Moral reasoning _needs_ causal chains.  And if
that's the case, why on earth would determinism destroy moral
reasoning?

DMB said:
How does "causality" work in moral reasoning? Maybe we could say
that about formal logic if we were using "causal" in a figurative way
but to press such a notion so far as to save moral reasoning within
a deterministic view seems to stretch things well beyond the
breaking point.

Matt:
I'm not sure I catch your drift here.

Steve articulated the idea that Dennett thinks that determin_ism_ is
the only context in which free will makes sense.  While I assume
that anything I think about free will is probably consistent with what
Dennett thinks, I'm not very happy with that as a way to make the
point (because of the history of the free will/determinism debate).
I would not want to call Dennett's position a "determinism" (whatever
Dennett's desires in the matter).  I prefer "Humean compatibilist."
Or anything else.  Just not a position that already has the despised
baggage of being opposed to free will.

I have no precise idea of what you're conceiving here as "a
deterministic view," but let me say this about causality and logic.
The figurative sense, I take it, you're taking about is logical
implicature, such that if "if P, then Q" is true, then if you later get a
P, that P _causes_ you to also have a Q.  That's not the sense of
causality I was making use of to talk about moral reasoning in my
claim that "moral reasoning needs causal chains."  I was talking
about something much more abstract and general.

All I mean by "causal chain" is the relation that holds when we track
_what_ is responsible for the occurrence of another _what_.  Such
an abstract notion of cause can be used to track all kinds of
phenomena, not just physical.  And, like Kant, I don't see how the
world as we experience it could be made sense of with out it.  For
moral reasoning to occur, for us to be able to blame or laud certain
actions for their occurrence, it seems to me that we need to be able
to track back the action to an actor ("actor" itself having the wide
sense of "whatever picks out the thing responsible for the action").
I don't see any reason why we shouldn't call the "line" that we track
backwards and forwards on a "line of causation."  And all I meant to
say was that such lines are a necessary precondition for moral
reasoning to begin: you need to trace out lines of causal
responsibility before you can judge the moral responsibility of
various agents who've been tracked back to (you, the guy with the
gun, your mother who raised you right, the government who
provided a good education, etc.).

Matt