[MD] Free Will-iam James

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Tue Jun 28 10:01:07 PDT 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 12:21 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> Marsha asked dmb:
> Does James's definition of free will conform to the the standard dictionary definition?  If it does, why did we need all these quotes and explain it?
>

> dmb says:
> Your question is predicated on a misconception. Dictionaries can only tell us if we're using words properly.

Where is this definition that "Dictionaries can only tell us if we're using words properly." come from???

> dmb:
> They were never designed or intended to be philosophical guidebooks. It's just that philosophical terms have definitions and they should be used properly, just like any other term.

Marsha:
I agree, and I presented a definition of reification from a Buddhist philosophical point-of-view.

> dmb:
> James certainly knew what the terms meant (Free Will and Determinism) and he had abundant talent in the word department.

Marsha:
This is mere opinion concerning style; it states nothing about James analysis of free will.

> dmb:
> (Some people say he was more of a literary genius that his brother Henry, the novelist.)

Marsha:
More irrelevant opinion concerning style.

> dmb:
> On top of that, the importance of using terms properly is built right into his philosophical outlook, as the last of the quotes said quite explicitly. (Cain and Abel)

Marsha:
Do you mean that heavy metal rock group?

> dmb:
> Proper use of terms is a necessary but insufficient condition of doing philosophical work.

Marsha:
Please explain this sentence.  I do not understand what you are saying.

> dmb:
> You cannot reason without definitions but they aren't enough all by themselves. As Pirsig said, "definitions are the foundation of reason". Using the right word or term is only the beginning of careful thought. Let me know when you're ready to get started.

Marsha:
And this is related to "Jamesian analysis of free will" how?  The Cain and Abel reference is your analogy.  Isn't that nice...  Seems to me the MoQ's inspiration was initiated from outside the mythos.  It seems to me rather than telling us what Charlene says James has said, you might tell us how will Jamesian Pragmatism will be improved by the MoQ?   Hint: the levels...  Ever thought about that?   Since you seldom demonstrate careful thought, you can hardly be considered to determine the right word.  And beside, this is such a new metaphysics  that the best words may not yet have evolved.

___