[MD] Free Will

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Wed Jun 29 10:56:02 PDT 2011

Hi Steve, Dave and others

The general impression I get with this debate about Free Will /
Determinism is the same impression that I get with the Selfishness /
Altruism debate.
It's somewhere between political and ideological.
That's to say that proponents of either side see the distinction as a
comparison of absolutes and somewhere along the line each side tries to
define the other side out of existence.
The position appears to be that there is only free will or there is only
determinism or, there is only selfishness or there is only altruism -
it's very rare to see a position which relates to the degree of one or
the other in a particular context. I remember being attracted to the MoQ
because, for the most part, it avoided absolutes in favour of context.

Horse

--

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
— Frank Zappa