[MD] static patterns of value

David Morey davidint at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 10:30:33 PDT 2013

"In order to understand what is being said here, one should try and imagine
all things, objects of experience and oneself, the one who is experiencing,
as just a flow of perceptions. We do not know that there is something "out
there". We have only experiences of colours, shapes, tactile data, and so
on. We also don't know that we ourselves are anything than a further series
of experiences. Taken together, there is only an EVER-CHANGING FLOW of
perceptions (vijnaptimatra)... Due to our beginningless ignorance we
construct these perceptions into enduring subjects and objects confronting
each other. This is irrational, things are not really like that, and it
leads to suffering and frustration. The constructed objects are the
conceptualised aspect. The flow of perceptions which forms the basis for our
mistaken constructions is the dependent aspect." (Paul Williams, "Mahayana
Buddhism", Routledge, 1989, p.83/84).

DM: What is a flow of perceptions? What I mean by pre-conceptual patterns I
guess. What are colours, shapes, tactile data? Pre-conceptual patterns of
experience I think, so where to put these pre-conceptual experienced
patterns, happy to call these DQ, but DQ is not so undifferentiated now it
seems, DQ is a flux full of pattern and valued response to these patterns,
looks like there is a lot we can say about DQ and its pre-conceptual forms.
I am happy to see DQ and SQ this way if it is the best way forward, patterns
can be split split between SQ and DQ, conceptual analysis and pre-conceptual
reality. No harm it that I can see.