[MD] Static patterns are ever-changing?!? i

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Sat Oct 5 04:19:43 PDT 2013

Hi DM

On 04/10/2013 19:03, David Morey wrote:
> <snip>
>
> DM: sorry I thought you had read the James book, look up James and percept on Google and see how many hits you get

In what follows I shall freely use synonyms for these two terms.
"ideas," "thought," and "intellection" are synonymous with
"concept," Instead of "percept" I shall often speak of "sensation,"
"feeling," "intuition,"and sometimes of "sensible
experience" or of the "immediate flow" of conscious life. Since Hegel's
time, what is simply perceived has been called the
"immediate,"while the "mediated" is synonymous with what is conceived.
Source: William James,
Some Problems in Philosophy (1911)

The great difference between percepts and concepts is that percepts are
continuous and concepts are discrete.
Not discrete in their being, for conception as an act is part of the
flux of feeling, but discrete from each other
in their several meanings. Each concept means just what it singly means,
and nothing else; and if the conceiver
does not know whether he means this or means that, it shows that his
concept is imperfectly formed. The
perceptual flux as such, on the contrary, means nothing, and is but what
it immediately is. No matter how small
a tract of it be taken, it is always a much-at-once, and contains
innumerable aspects and characters which
conception can pick out, isolate, and thereafter always intend. It shows
duration, intensity, complexity or
simplicity, interestingness, excitingness, pleasantness or their
opposites. Data from all our senses enter into it,
merged in a general extensiveness of which each occupies a big or little
share. Yet all these parts leave its
unity unbroken. Its boundaries are no more distinct than are those of
the field of vision.

Source: William James,
Percept and Concept and Their Practical uses

[Horse]
 From the above and what I know of James, he appears to be referring to
the equivalent of DQ and SQ.
Perhaps there's an element of memory involved as well but I can't see
why you think that Percept is any different from DQ!

Cheers

Horse

--

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
— Frank Zappa