[MD] Fwd: Re: Static Patterns Rock!

David Morey davidint at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 12 08:13:31 PDT 2013

Hi JanAnders

Maybe you can help explain it then,  do animals with instinctive behaviors identify their food and mates using SQ? Yes or no.

Is this SQ conceptual? Yes or no.

Either SQ can be pre-conceptual,  which I prefer,  but everything pre-conceptual is DQ for DMB,  or animals use concepts,  which is a very odd use of the word concept. If you can clear up this obvious muddle I will be most grateful.

Jan-Anders Andersson <jananderses at telia.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> dmb says:
>>> Basically, you want primary experience to be a determinate reality. You don't want pre-conceptual experience to be an indeterminate flux because you mistakenly believe that this means it is devoid of content and therefore cannot be the source or substance of our concepts. You mistakenly believe that it means we can't taste bananas or see the moon?
>>>
>>> I think you need to take a careful look at what these guys are actually saying about "pure experience". It's non-dual experience, not a subjective experience of objective realities. This is undivided experience of the whole situation all at once, not the unprocessed sense data of traditional empiricism. I mean, you're using Pirsig's terms to refer to things that Pirsig has rejected and has no place in the MOQ's structure. That creates tons of confusion and frustration.
>>>

>>> You can't really even have a problem with their "primary experience" until you get a handle on what they're saying, unless you grapple what the term's actual meaning. So far, you've only been objecting to your own misconceptions of this as some kind of white noise that's devoid of content.  But as I keep telling you, "undifferentiated" simply means that the content has not yet been conceptualized.
>>>
>>> "Quality is a direct experience independent of and prior to intellectual abstractions. Quality is indivisible, undefinable and unknowable in the sense that there is a knower and a known,..."
>>>
>>> "Quality is shapeless, formless, indescribable. To see shapes and forms is to intellectualize. Quality is independent of any such shapes and forms."
>>>

>>> DQ = pure experience = sciousness
>>>
>>> "What is “sciousness”? Bricklin explains in his introduction to the book that “James labeled consciousness-without-self ‘sciousness,’ and consciousness-with-self ‘con-sciousness.’” For those up to speed on their Eastern philosophy, “consciousness-without-self” (sciousness) is, of course, precisely how the Buddha defined nirvana, the traditional goal of spiritual seeking. Bricklin defines it as a “nondual” state of enlightened immediacy and wholeness in which the usual distinction between self and other, knower and known, is dissolved. Ordinary “con-sciousness,” on the contrary, would be considered dualistic, erroneously split down the middle between a perceiving subject and the world of objects being perceived."

>>> Archives:
>>> http://lists.moqtalk.org/pipermail/moq_discuss-moqtalk.org/