[MD] Fwd: Re: Static Patterns Rock!

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Sat Oct 12 13:57:04 PDT 2013

Hi DM

SQ is a concept relating to patterns. It is a human metaphysical concept.
What we're talking about, w.r.t. Pirsig's MoQ, is static patterns of
value and dynamic quality.
Animals, the vast majority anyway, are biological and inorganic
patterns. Instinct is biological.
The vast majority of animals don't, as far as anyone can say with any
certainty, have concepts.
They can recognise shapes (another fascinating facet of the eye - edge
and shape detection) but do not have a concept of shape - because they
have no concepts!
They use other biological values to navigate and get around in the world.
Some animals may have social values or patterns - certain types of
hymenoptera and cetaceans come to mind, along with higher primates. Some
of the higher primates (and possibly cetaceans ) may even have concepts
but this can only be inferred and, so far as I'm aware, has not been
conclusively proven.

What I don't get is why you are trying to impose an idea onto the MoQ
that has been shown not to be part of the MoQ.
There are static patterns of value and dynamic quality - that's it.
Nothing else.
DQ is unpatterned.
SQ is patterned.
There is no such thing, in Robert Pirsig's MoQ, as patterned DQ. It
doesn't exist.
What you are suggesting is not Pirsig's MoQ.

Horse

--

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
— Frank Zappa