[MD] Static Patterns Rock!

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Sun Oct 13 09:07:48 PDT 2013

dmb,

I am sticking to the term Dynamic Quality.

On Oct 12, 2013, at 12:35 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> Nobody, except Marsha maybe, thinks pure experience is devoid of content.

And yes, I think Dynamic Quality is devoid of content.

RMP:
"... my statement that Dynamic Quality is always affirmative was not a wise statement, since it constitutes a limitation or partial definition of Dynamic Quality. Whenever one talks about Dynamic Quality someone else can take whatever is said and make a static pattern out of it and then dialectically oppose that pattern. The best answer to the question, “What is Dynamic Quality?” is the ancient Vedic one——“Not this, not that.”"

Marsha:
Dynamic Quality is not knowable, not definable, not divisible, not bounded, not patterned, not dualistic, "not this, not that" - not differentiated.

And again I state, in my experience of mindful awareness one drops the narration (language) function for a more perceptual (immediate) experience, but there is still pattern identification in differentiating shapes, smells, sounds, tastes and touch.  The differentiating is there with perceiving too.  Without language. Undifferentiated, unpatterned Dynamic Quality is not this.  My experience trumps the explanation (analogy).

"... what that one stuff of which things and thoughts are both made might be.  What is required, James argues, is an approach he calls radical empiricism.  Empiricism, he insists, is the opposite of rationalism. Rationalism tends to emphasize universals and to make wholes prior to parts. "Empiricism on the contrary lays the explanatory stress upon the part, the element as an abstraction. To be radical, an empiricism must neither admit into its construction any element that is not directly experienced nor exclude from them any element that is experienced.""

Marsha

___