[MD] Fwd: Re: Static Patterns Rock!

David Morey davidint at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 13 16:05:08 PDT 2013

DMB said: know where you got the idea that "undifferentiated" experience means blankness or white noise or a lack of content but that is wrong and that's what has you so confused.

DM: Not my view,  just a leading question I
asked at one point to make explicit the potential implications of too much emphasis on the word undifferentiated.

DMB said: in fact you already lost this debate a long time ago

DM: well who believes that? You, well that's a surprising conclusion isn't it? I don't think you have even taken up my arguments let alone answered them, but no problem,  I have no interest in some sort of contest,  is that what you think this is? Wrong,  I am only interested in challenging what I see as poor definitions not consistently applied and with unrealised implications. If you could overcome my concerns adequately we could move closer to the truth or a better thought out MOQ and we would all be winners,  us British are jolly good sports you know,  team spirit and all that old chap!
Nothing personal in this at all for me,  but sorry when I think you are writing rubbish or using terrible arguments I feel it is my civic duty to point this out.

Sorry if I can't read all your quotes and find answers to all the problems I am raising as you claim you do,  but it seems rude and lazy to expect me to do that when you claim complete understanding and satisfaction with the existing definitions,  should you not make an effort to understand what my issues are and explain to me what you think are the best way to resolve them. Your approach seems to be to go la la la,  none of these problems make any sense to me if only DM would see everything my way he would have no problems,  well I try to follow what you write,  but when I query your inconsistencies or inadequate mapping of experience you seem to be incapable of understanding,  I find it easy enough to follow you,  and even easier to point out exactly why I do not agree with what you are saying, who looks more lazy when you endlessly attribute views to me that are completely false, why do you do that,  maybe my UK English is very different to your US version,  I do very much make use of test assertions and questions to get at the core of an argument,  these test assertions and questions usually try to get at what your views are or what the logical implications are,  perhaps you confuse these with my views,  in the UK and in the law this is very common practice,  and it is logically and stylistically fairly obvious where I am doing this if you are used to this sort of thing,  perhaps you are not? My apologies for any confusion,  shall I mark such things with a * would that help?

I can't see any benefit in me setting out how I understand what James,  Pirsig,  Northrop are saying because I am arguing that what they appear to be saying in certain specific ways is wrong or confusing, it seems to me that the people who disagree with me should be able to show me why I am wrong or how I can resolve my concerns by changing my approach and why I should do this,  but other than Horse very little adequate answers have been offered in my opinion. If people do not make an effort to understand my view and why it reveals problems in the MOQ they are never going to be able to resolve my problems by adequate explanation that I can accept or by recognising that I have s point. I am open to persuasion,  ask yourself why you are failing instead of keep looking for my faults. I think I made some progress with Horse earlier and suggested dropping using pre-conceptual for percepts if instead we recognise them as pre-cultural,  pre-language SQ, do you agree with this? Half the time you seemed to want to see percepts as undifferentiated DQ,  do you and Horse disagree about percepts perhaps?

DMB: When you abandon your misinterpretation of "undifferentiated" and realize that it simply means "unconceptualized" - as I've pointed out about ten different times - your objections will immediately evaporate.

DM: take the taste of an apple and a banana,  drop the names and the concepts,  does this make the tastes undifferentiated because undifferentiated means the same as unconceptualised? But do you then claim that they still taste different from each other but because unconceptualised percepts are DQ these two different tastes exist in an  undifferentiated state? I call that horribly problematic,  either accept taste as a form of DQ or just say that in DQ there is difference of qualia or percepts but it is undifferentiated in terms of subjects and objects,  I have been waiting for an explanation like this but I heard nothing until Horse suggested percepts are patterned and are therfore SQ but I assume pre-cultural SQ.