[MD] Thinkers and Rainers?

ARLO JAMES BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Oct 21 13:45:05 PDT 2013

[DM]
If anyone wants to follow a genuinely open exploration of non-dualist thinking in a broader and better connected tradition I recommend Speculative Realism,  shame really,  the MOQ deserves better.

[Arlo]
This is an interesting statement. What does "the MOQ deserves better" mean? Are you suggesting "Speculative Realism" as an alternative to Pirsig's MOQ? Or are you suggesting that elements of Speculative Realism can be used to enhance Pirsig's philosophy? And if the latter, why not a full replacement? Does Pirsig's MOQ offer something that Speculative Realism lacks? Are you suggesting a symbiotic joining to address insufficiencies in both?

Also, a while back you said...

[DM]
I can't see any benefit in me setting out how I understand what James,  Pirsig,  Northrop are saying because I am arguing that what they appear to be saying in certain specific ways is wrong or confusing, it seems to me that the people who disagree with me should be able to show me why I am wrong or how I can resolve my concerns by changing my approach...  If people do not make an effort to understand my view and why it reveals problems in the MOQ...

[Arlo]
I think what people have been saying is that your views do not reveal "problems in the MOQ" because you are misunderstanding what Pirsig, James and Northrop have said. You refuse to accept this, and keep insisting that your problems are the result of faulty reasoning on the parts of Pirsig, James and Northrop.

However, you seem convinced that Speculative Realism addresses the problems of Pirsig, James and Northrop. So, try as I might I can't find a clear articulation of what exactly you feel is deficient in Pirsig, and if/how Speculative Realism extends/replaces his ideas? What does Speculative Realism offer that Pirsig/James/Northrop do not?