[MD] Zen at War

David Thomas combinedefforts at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 22 05:46:08 PDT 2013

On 10/21/13 2:49 PM, "David Buchanan" <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> dmb says:
> It might interest some people to know that William James knew D. T. Suzuki and
> talked with him about "pure experience" (aka DQ) and Suzuki is considered to
> have been "the foremost explainer of Zen to the West". Alan Watts was his star
> student.
>
> According to the author of "SCIOUSNESS AND CON-SCIOUSNESS: WILLIAM JAMES AND
> THE PRIME REALITY OF NON-DUAL EXPERIENCE," Jonathan Bricklin,...
[Dave]
May I suppose that this is where James meets Suzuki?

"Yet had he consulted D. T.Suzuki, destined to become the foremost explainer
of Zen to the West, and employed at the time as a translator by a
philosopher friend of James, he might have done otherwise."
http://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/trps-35-03-02-085.pdf

Or perhaps you have some other reference, because I can find no source
suggesting direct talks or correspondence between James and Suzuki.