[MD] Zen at War

David Thomas combinedefforts at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 22 14:07:47 PDT 2013

dmb said before:
> It might interest some people to know that William James knew D. T. Suzuki and
> talked with him about "pure experience" (aka DQ) and Suzuki is considered to
> have been "the foremost explainer of Zen to the West". Alan Watts was his star
> student.

[Dave]
I know Suzuki was aware of James' work, he worked with friend of James, and
married a women who had taken some classes with James. But you claim the
James "knew" Suzuki and "talked with him about "pure experience." I still
have seen nothing that you have posted and nothing in any of the James
online archives that there was direct face to face discussion(s) or direct
communications between them.  Are you just making this up?

The first source you quoted quite clearly indicates with, "Yet had he
[James] consulted D.T.Suzuki,..." that he doesn't seem think they consulted
with each other.  I know, I know, truth is a species of what is good to
believe, (as long as it supports your argument, position, biases, or
fantasies.)

My point is that later Zen writers (Suzuki, Nishida, Pirsig et al) all
attached themselves to the coattails an internationally known American
philosopher with a broad, deep, subtle, well received, reviewed, and
criticized body of work. But, what would James say of their attachment of
their work to his, if he was alive? I suggest that he would be highly
critical on a whole range of issues, not the least of which was his nearly
complete distrust of "absolute monism's" such as Taoism, Zen, and the MoQ.

My guess is that your thesis strongly down played this oblivious conflict,
or had some very clever rhetoric to twist it, disguise it, or ignored it
completely. That my "friend" is "conformational bias" at its lowest.  I'm
working on a post which will address some of these issues. Don't get your
titties in a twist, it may take a while.