[MD] Mythos- the fresh maker

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 28 19:20:23 PDT 2013

Dave Thomas said:

Which leads right into the whole mythos, everything is an "analogy" business.
Then you say, "The four levels of static patterns are just a way to sort the mythos, right? All of that sits in contrast to DQ, the generator of the mythos." What this does is reduce all human knowledge to the status of myth, "a collection of gossip and intuitions about man." ... So all human knowledge is initially relegated to "social level" where fairy tales, Bible stories, and Newton's theories are all of equal value. No, no you say, What about the intellectual level?

dmb says:

This seems to be quite deliberately stupid. Are just pulling my leg or what? Look at what transpired here...

I had said that everything is an "analogy" -every last bit, as Pirsig says, and then I said, "The four levels of static patterns are just a way to sort the mythos, right? All of that sits in contrast to DQ, the generator of the mythos." Just to be absolutely clear, I was talking about everything, the whole mythos, all four levels of the static patterns, but you said,...

"What this does is reduce all human knowledge to the status of myth, 'a collection of gossip and intuitions about man.' ... So all human knowledge is initially relegated to "social level" where fairy tales, Bible stories, and Newton's theories are all of equal value. No, no you say, What about the intellectual level?"

If I'm including every last bit of everything, the whole mythos, and all four static levels, then obviously this charge of reductionism makes no sense at all. This little bit of nonsense is predicated on nothing except your own perverted definition of "mythos" and, even further, you are clearly just ignoring what I actually said. You reduced and distorted "mythos" to mean gossip and fairy tales.

So we have your hair-brained red-baiting, your apparent inability to compare the key terms and concepts, and we have this mythic kind of deliberate distortion. That pretty much kills it, don't you think? I do.

Ron:
To clarify mythos: a pattern of beliefs expressing often symbolically the characteristic or prevalent attitudes in a group or culture.
-Merriam-Webster

Speaking of mythos and addressing the comment I had made regarding the hero's journey in the paper, "the Jung and the restless"
I had seen a connection with the concept and analogy of 360 degree enlightenment that rolls out quite simply in this manner:
leaving the mythos(orpheus entering the world of the dead) as roughly consistent with 180 degree enlightenment then the return
back into the mythos ( the hero returning with a boon to society-ala Campbell) as roughly consistent with the notion of the
360 degree enlightenment.
I was wondering if you noted the connection also and were hinting at it as strengthening the explanation Paul Turner had offered.

..