[MD] knowing

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Thu Oct 31 21:47:54 PDT 2013

Greetings,

Although this quote pertains to Buddhism and to a particular book, I find this to be a good way to approach the MoQ and the Perennial Philosophy or "philosophical mysticism".   This is from the chapter 'KNOWING, EMPTINESS AND THE RADIANT MIND'.

"As the reader will discover through this chapter, and as is the general intent of this book, each of the passages lends itself to individual contemplation – contemplation that will slowly reveal many layers of meaning and interrelationship. Sometimes one teaching will seem to confirm another, at other times they might seem to contradict – this is the flavour of Buddha-Dhamma.

"It is always up to the individual to take the teachings, apply them, bring them to life and then discover how they mesh via direct knowledge, rather than forcing them to align, in Procrustean conformity, with favoured presuppositions and habit patterns: “Is the mind empty or is it full of light? Is wisdom the light or the emptiness? Both? Neither?” Ajahn Chah once said: “We call the mind empty but actually it’s full of wisdom,’ maybe that’s it!”

"It’s never a matter of trying to figure it all out, rather we pick up these phrases and chew them over, taste them, digest them and let them energize us by virtue of their own nature."

        (Ajahn Pasanno & Ajahn Amaro, 'The Island')