[MD] Sociability Re-examined

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:54:12 PDT 2014

dmb.

thanks for responding so faithfully,

> As I see it, you have been caught red-handed saying something quite false
> and wrong. Even worse, when people complain about your errors, you put on
> this weird persecuted genius act and insult the complainers for being too
> dogmatic or narrow-minded.

Jc:  that is an interesting interpretation of my contributions, and I
appreciate you taking the time
to pay me so much attention as to actually comment upon me. But ...

This level of ignorance and arrogance (at the
> same time) is very disturbing. It's delusional. And this is exactly the kind
> of nonsense I want to nap through. It's not just wrong, it's a boring and
> pointless waste of time. When you do this, we're not even talking about
> Pirsig's work anymore but rather just some nonsense you made up for
> god-knows-what reason.

Jc:  I don't find your criticisms actually all that helpful.  So you
might as well save them.

> Will you please just go away and get a different hobby. Stay away from
> philosophy, especially Pirsig's. Go heal yourself and then teach Sunday
> school or something. Seriously. Reading and thinking is just NOT your cup of
> tea.

A:  no, i won't go away.  I've been drawn to philosophy ever since a
9th grade argument with my best friend J. Eggers on whether there is
or is not, any absolute.
I argued that since "there are no absolutes" is an absolute, the issue
was obvious and ever since I've been hooked on philosophy and logic.
And when I met Pirsig, it was fascination and love at first sight.
So no, I'm not going away.  At least not voluntarily.  You can try and
guide Horse, but horses take quality persuasion.

As for reading and thinking... I've been doing quite a bit of that
recently.  Oh yes.

"Radical empiricism requires not only that we not hypostatize our concepts,
but also that we take seriously whatever seems to experienced by
anyone anywhere,
and that requires at least investigating carefully whatever people
report experiencing. "

ibid 254-255