[MD] A New Broom......

Andre andrebroersen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 14:28:03 PST 2014

dmb:

Looking at the archives, I can see that Marsha posted about 60 times in November and 45 times in December. That's about twice as much as anyone else, which means the discussion group was being dominated by incoherent drivel and passive aggressive snark.

Andre:
Agreed dmb and good to have you back here. Despite her denials through, in her terms, the 'vipassana' experiences she not only misrepresents vipassana but she reinforced the self centered, egotistical experience rendering everything else 'mere opinion' (except her own of course). Her own centeredness in a subject/object metaphysics cannot be more obvious and her continued unease with the MoQ's intellectual level bears this out.

I think Pirsig's MoQ points to a more inclusive and thereby more expanded notion of the 'individual' and his or her 'experience'. These must be seen, understood and argued for in a much broader perspective...call it ( as Wilber does) the transpersonal perspective meaning nothing less than the universal or global view. It is vital to pursue this course of discuss, otherwise we'll be racing around in circles chasing our own tales...(stories) .

Pirsig's MoQ does not deserve this nor do we as human beings.

In this sense we may be able to help each other returning to our own Buddha's Eightfold Path which has Right Understanding as first, and Right Thought as second on the 'The Way' leading to cessation of dukkha (suffering) also known as 'the Middle Path'. ( Rahula, What the Buddha Taught, p45)

Any other pursuit is 'naive' and must be exposed and recognized for what it is. Potentially we're here to set a high standard of exchange with each other and I'm not much of a philosopher but I am a manifestation in human form welcoming the learning and sharing the learned.

That ought to be a reasonably good start.

In that sense your call to write 'a blog post about scientific revolutions (Kuhn) and how that relates to Pirsig's view of science. You know, Copernican revolutions, non-euclidean geometry, post-Newtonian physics, the proliferation of scientific hypotheses, Poincare's intuitive leaps, or anything along those lines', is a welcome and stimulating suggestion.