[MD] 42

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 12:58:22 PST 2014

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/14/222319627/new-computer-school-upends-french-education-model

I heard about this place the other day on the radio and was very
intrigued.  Maybe y'all have discussed it before because it certainly
aligns with Pirsig's grade-less and degree-less idea in education.

I also was intrigued because I have a 12 year old boy who is deep into
computer games and virtual reality and I'd like to get him into some kind
of training program that would harness his interest.  Schools at the k12
level just don't teach computing right.  And kids, boys especially, seem to
have a strong drive in that area from a young age.  And where else is my
kid going to find a career?  My own skills in construction are useless
because the vast numbers of manufacturing jobs lost to China were converted
to construction jobs during the Bush bubble and now the field is so
over-crowded its ridiculous.  I'm reminded of my nephew Jason who grew up
immersed in computer games as a kid.  We all predicted it would be a bad
thing - he wasn't getting any real world experience.  Now he's got a great
job for the nsa and travels the world.  But Jason was home schooled and
allowed to spend a lot of time learning programming.  Most kids are forced
by the school system to learn a bunch of stuff that's useless to them.

And on that note, the school 42 in France is virulently opposed by the
professional academics and teacher's unions.  But it gives me hope.  If it
can happen in France, why not here in the land of the free?