[MD] 42

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 00:36:42 PST 2014

Arlo,

I really like those animated talk things.  They seem to capture our
attention in a broad way.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM, ARLO JAMES BENSINGER JR <ajb102 at psu.edu>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I've seen this before, its an interesting endeavor. You may have seen this
> before, but this RSA Animate short touches on many of the same ideas:
> http://www.thersa.org/events/rsaanimate/animate/rsa-animate-changing-paradigms

J:  Hadn't seen it before so thanks for sharing.  Many great points that
caught my attention.

Point 1:  Stated right off the bat is "Every country on earth is reforming
education"  I think its important to consider that much of Pirsig's railing
against the academic system was against a system that is now half a century
ago.  Every academic I know has read ZAMM and liked it a lot.  Admittedly
my exposure is not as wide as some, but still it's remarkable how many
tracks that book has left in people's minds and especially academics - who
tend to read more than most.

Point 2:  Most of our education system was built up to serve the needs of
an industrialized economy that doesn't exist anymore - unless you live in
China.   So it makes what they're doing in France with 42 look like a great
idea.

Point 3:  I don't know what you call those whiteboard animated talks, but
I've seen them before and I like them a lot.

> One note of caution: "opposed to professional academics and teacher's
> unions". I think there is a pendulum swinging from "sage on the stage" to
> "guide on the side" that has dismissed the role of the instructor too far.
> A "professional academic" is (or should be) someone who not only
> understands the body of knowledge but also is skilled in pedagogy and
> learning theories, someone who has the ability to access student
> performance and keep the student moving forward (via what Vygotsky called
> the Zone of Proximal Development). This "professional academic" is a
> keystone species in this learning ecology, and even School 42 makes use of
> "professional academics" (even if it wants to try to define this away).

True, but it makes use of them in the guide on the side mode.  And I think
that's a good thing because you always value the teaching most that you
seek out rather than have shoved down your throat whether you're in a
receptive mood or not.

Also I realize that this style isn't appropriate for every subject but it
seems to me that for the art of programming - and the culture of
programmers- it's uniquely appropriate.

> As for "teacher's unions", while problems exist to be sure, these unions
> (and the concept of tenure) were formed to protect the integrity of the
> intellectual level from social-capital forces. If you abolish these, you
> better have a good suggestion for how this integrity can be pre
>  served.
>
> Final note: grade-less and degree-less. This will only happen when/if
> economics (and its derivative social-status) are completely disentangled
> from education. So long as many (if not most) view education as 'career
> training', and see degrees as both economic and symbolic forms of social
> capital, this will never happen. For what its worth, I personally don't
> believe this is possible in a capitalist society, where these are used to
> mark the 'worth' of someone's economic value.

Again, programming is different.  If you're good at it you can get a good
job.  It doesn't matter if you have a degree or are self taught.  But I see
your point.

Thanks Arlo,

John