[MD] 42

Andre andrebroersen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:38:12 PST 2014

Arlo to Dan:
Before we move any further on this path, Dan, let me ask a question.
Given the above, do you think Pirsig's expertise (in content? in
pedagogy?) was in any way valuable to the student? Overall, do you think
there is a role for an expert/mentor/instructor at all? In the above, it
suggests (to me) that motivating/encouraging is the optimal role, so an
ideal instructor would be someone who simply says "keep trying" and
nothing more. Moreover, as I read your points, it seems to suggest that
simply providing libraries or information repositories is a better model
than having an expert presence at all. So, let me ask, given your
criticisms, what would something better look like?

Andre:
Good exchange of ideas Dan an Arlo and forgive me for butting in but
(and I may have the timelines not quite correct here) but wasn't
Phaedrus just as much a student of Qualiy as his students were? That is
Phaedrus was struggling with this whole question of what Quality is and
he involved the students in the exploration thereof. He was looking for
ideas well.

In this sense I think that Phaedrus' expertise in pedagogy was very
valuable (as a guide) as he was just as interested in the answer as each
individual student was (and perhaps even more so).

Perhaps I see this in the wrong way?