[MD] 42

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 00:49:34 PST 2014

John,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM, John Carl <ridgecoyote at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right on Dan;
>
> Doing away with grades is tantamount to doing away with money. How
>> could anyone keep score if there are no grades? The old adage that it
>> isn't about winning so much as it is about how the game is played has
>> become outdated in many people's minds. Not only is it about winning,
>> but winning is everything. Those who don't go along with this premise
>> are shunted aside and ostracized as being losers.
>>

>[John]
> This made me think of burning man.  It's a very creative but temporary
> commune of artists and the first rule through the gates is abolishing
> money.   Maybe that's where the creativity comes from?

Dan:
That's interesting. I've heard of burning man but never had the money
to make the trip. Running my own business is great but it also means I
don't get paid while I'm away. How do they handle food and water and
stuff like that? Is it free? Is there a barter system in place?

I don't know where creativity comes from but I agree its source
probably has nothing to do with money. Unless of course a person has
lots of time to do their art because they have fat stacks. The old
'starving artist' adage is many times more fact than fiction. I
remember Hemingway writing about how he liked living in France because
the breakfast rolls were cheap. A Moveable Feast? I think so but don't
quote me on it.

Thanks,

Dan

http://www.danglover.com