[MD] AI

Ian MacLean imm at stylenouveau.com
Fri Jan 24 12:49:55 PST 2014

Hello all. I'm a subscriber, but it's been a while since I caught up with this list. So forgive me if this has been discussed before. Briefly, I'm interested in AI (Artificial Intelligence). I don't actually believe we'll be seeing it anytime soon (Minsky' Society of Mind gives me such an impression), but I do think that the hypothetical about how human society would relate to an AI is interesting. Briefly, it occurred to me that according to the MOQ, an AI (depending on it's complexity, but I'm assuming it would be very complex indeed) should most likely not only be accorded the rights we afford to citizens, but added protections as well. Something along the lines of the laws the state uses to protect itself.

It also occurred to me that should an AI spring into being, Lila should be one of the first books we ask it to read. Seeing as how Skynet, according to MOQ, shouldn't damage the lower level(s) which created it. Forgive me if this has been previously discussed.

Ian