[MD] SOM is what?

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 09:58:24 PST 2014

David,

You asked:

Why do you think SOM is a social pattern?

J:  I don't.  I think our society operates according to a philosophy that
has SOM as it's metaphysical basis.  Is there any argument about that?

dmb:

> Why do you think the giant MUST work according to SOM rules? Where is this
> found as a fact? Does anyone think so other than you? It seems to me that
> you're simply talking about something else entirely. Whatever it is, it's
> not SOM.

J:  Well to be sure, I wasn't so much asserting as asking.  But my reason
for doing so is that it seems SOM is uniquely suited to social patterns -
it sees everything in terms of subjects and objects, and that is exactly
what a well-ordered society must do if it wants to protect people's objects
and keep it's subjects in line.

dmb:

> The term is philosophical and refers to a family of philosophical views. I
> really don't see any reason why we should think of it as a social pattern
> that rules social patterns.

J:  I don't think SOM is a social pattern but I do think it rules society.
As Prof James points out "throughout history".  To my mind this raises the
question, why?
Inevitability or chance?

Thanks for your thoughts,

John

"Throughout the history of philosophy the subject and its object have been