[MD] 420

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 14:11:54 PST 2014

dmb,

> dmb says:
>

> As I understand it, you're still making the claim that the giant operates
> according SOM and your question is weather or not this is necessary or
> inevitable.

John:  yes!  and thanks for taking the question on.  And whether or not I'm
smart ( I deleted a lot of your aspersions below ) is a question for the
weatherman I guess.

dmb:

> But Dan and I have repeatedly tried to explain that the giant does not
> operate according to SOM - and I showed you what Pirsig says about fame and
> fortune being the twin engines of the social level. You're simply ignoring
> lots of really helpful help from helpers. It's frustrating. It's not
> honest. You can't have a real discussion about anything if you act like
> that. C'mon, John. Listen to yourself. It's outrageous.

John:  Well I don't mind being a bit outrageous, as long as it generates
fruitful dialogue but thanks for hammering it into my thick skull that you
both assert that  the Giant does NOT operate according to a SOMish
framework. I've been of the opinion that it does.  So that must be the bone
of contention then.

In my view every society has, as it's unspoken or spoken assumptions, a
metaphysical underpinning of some kind or other.  Western modernity has SOM
as its foundation.  The Giant as Pirsig described it, is an aspect of
Western Modernity.  Where am I wrong in my reasonings?

thanks,

John