[MD] 420

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 12:13:23 PST 2014

dmb,

I may start out confusedly and thrash around at first but over time I see
the points of confusion more clearly and I can clarify my terms.  Thanks
for helping me do this and sorry for the inconvenience.  I think I've got
it now.

John

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM, david <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> dmb said to John:
> You're mixing up the levels, as I already tried to explain a day or two
> ago... "Pirsig makes a case that intellectual values should be in charge of
> society BUT, he says, there is a flaw (genetic defect) in the form of
> rationality that has inherited this task. That is where the problem of SOM
> resides.  .. I think maybe you want to refer to SOM as the intellectual
> level values that rule society, but not as social values. You see the
> difference?

J:  Society is ruled by laws and the laws evolved from authority being
objective about its subject.  In a muslim society the laws evolve from a
different set of metaphysical beliefs - that reality is the will of Allah
and man's duty is revealed to his prophet Mohammed.  Different cultural
assumptions and thus different