[MD] Anti-intellectualism revisited

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 09:02:26 PDT 2014

Ron, Horse,

No, it's not SOM that's the 4th level.  I mean, I don't even think the 4th
should be called intellect!  So much for SOM.

And I don't have a problem saying dmb is right.  I've done so.  Even kissed
his butt, verbally.   I prefer logic to insult as a persuasion, but  I can
be brought to bear with social pressure.  I'm no hero.

Let me summarize my main arguments: 1) the word intellect connotes
"science" but the goal of the MoQ is ART and Science combined.  So I have a
problem with that connotation and 2)  intellect has an epistemelogical norm
- intuititive imagination - that is unaccounted for in the simple term
"intellectual".

There, that's it in a nutshell.  Maybe these issues have been cleared up
nicely while I was gone arguing with Bo.  That may be.  Can anyone just
respond simply to my arguments/issues without resorting to ad hominem
attacks?

Thanks,

JohnC

PS:  By "respond" I mean without resorting to "because RMP said so".
Since's it's Pirsig's terminology I'm taking to task here, something more
is needed to defend it than the mere fact of what Pirsig said.

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 5:57 AM, Ron Kulp <xacto at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 7, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Horse <horse at darkstar.uk.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > DMB is making a very valid point here.
> > The two people (John C and Ian) who were (and appear to still be)
> attached to Bo's SOM = Intellect are also the two that are having the
> hardest time getting their heads around the problem space/solution scenario
> that several people here have commented on, supplied evidence for and
> generally given a crystal clear explanation about!
> > I'm having a really hard time understanding why you can't (or won't)
> make the transition.
> > There is no problem here and as DMB has re-iterated over and over, stop
> confusing the problem with the cure!
> > I'm sure both of you will say that you have disagreements with Bo and
> his flawed interpretation but the bottom line is you're still stuck in that
> particular mode. This is similar to when myself, Arlo, Dan, etc. say that
> we have minor disagreements with some small areas of the MoQ but overall we
> are all in agreement with the vast majority of it. You two appear to be
> doing the same thing a la Bo - your disagreements do not overcome your
> general adherence to his mistaken and inaccurate interpretation. Until you
> get past this you ARE going to be stuck in the same place as when Bo left.
> No amount of evidence is going to shift you because you will just keep
> ignoring and/or denying it.
> >
> > There are none so blind.....etc.
> >
> > Horse
> >
> Ron sez:
> We have to remember that these folks have invested a lot into this point
> of view. It has become a way of life, who they are. Because they
> essentially define themselves by this point of view, attacking it is
> basically an attack on their person. Changing
> That point of view means a restructuring of who they are.
> Plus I think John has such chip on his shoulder concerning DMB that he
> will do anything but admit he has been mistaken and Dave is correct.
> There seems to be a lot of ego involved.
> There is this romanticism about painting themselves as the lone brujo
> Of RMPs examples fighting the "system".
> Granted, they exercise the muscle of explanation and polish our rhetorical
> skills, but it does get tiresome and ridiculous at some point and impedes
> The progressive dialog.
>
> .
>

> >> On 06/06/2014 17:28, david wrote:
> >> Ian said:
> >>
> >> So, we're about where we were when Bo left us. There's something wrong
> with intellect as she is currently "construed" - but we can't quite put our
> finger on it. Despite that we're all trying very hard to solve the problem,
> because we all sincerely "believe" intellect scores over (mere) "feeling".
> Carry on girls.
> >>

> >> dmb says:
> >> If "we" refers to John and yourself, then yes. You're still stuck where
> Bo left off, which is equating SOM with intellect. This, for the tenth time
> [...]

"finite players
play within boundaries.
Infinite players
play *with* boundaries."