[MD] Teaching ZMM

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:03:47 PDT 2015

Matt,

It's good to hear from you and good to hear you are teaching quality. :)

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Matt Kundert <pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> So, what I'm asking is this:
>
> (1)  Any suggestions for new questions that balance story elements with
> abstract elements?
> (2)  Any suggestions about tweaking the old ones?  Esp. #2, but also #4
> (e.g., being more specific...?).
>
> Best,
>
> Matt

1)  Every person has a father and pretty much every person has a
problematic attachment to their father so focusing on the redemptive angle
of the story would hook into their interest, I believe.

Ask them what the author  meant by "be one person again" and  when he says
"we never fully understand the ways in which we are related to one
another." ask them about people in their life whose relationship goes
deeper than then can understand.

"We’re related to each other in ways we never fully understand, maybe
hardly understand at all. He was always the real reason for coming out of
the hospital. To have let him grow up alone would have been really wrong.
In the dream too he was the one who was always trying to open the door.

I haven’t been carrying him at all. He’s been carrying me!
"I knew it," he said. It keeps tugging on the line, saying my big problem
may not be as big as I think it is, because the answer is right in front of
me.

For God’s sake relieve him of his burden!

Be one person again!"

Everybody loves a good story.

John