[MD] Julian Baggini: This is what the clash of civilisations is really about

Ron Kulp xacto at rocketmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:02:28 PDT 2015

> On Jun 8, 2015, at 12:06 PM, david <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> dmb says:
>
> I'd like to discuss the problem described in Baggini's article because pragmatism is just what the doctor ordered. It is not relativism and it is not Absolutism. Pragmatism does not say that all answers are valid and it does not say there is only one right answer. I'd like to discuss this

Ron replies:
Thanks for that Dave, I think it's a very important topic. It's why I posted it. Since the discuss got quiet for a time I seemed to focus more on social media and current events.
What I found was alarming. The polarization manifests itself across
more than politics and religion. It is like the art of discussion,
Or to be more precise, the art of persuasion has become lost. To all involved it's an either/or proposition.
Science has been bundled with atheism. Religion uses relativism with
Devastating effectiveness in this aim.
What's worse is science/atheism isn't helping it's case with letting the "facts" speak for themselves .
All in all religion is winning the game of persuasion and science, critical thinking and reason have been hijacked to promote the myth of certainty and the absolute.
Now the question of whether or not
It's a valuable myth seems to have certainly taken a back seat to its power of persuasion and thats frightening. For when it comes to persuasive power in public opinion,
Governments and corporations would
Sooner back anti-intellectiualism  and the myth of the absolute. To them it is a valuable myth worth promoting.
At least, those are my own fears and misgivings.

.