[MD] Julian Baggini: This is what the clash of civilisations is really about

david dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:46:35 PDT 2015

The linked article takes up the same basic problem that Baggini's article discusses, but from a different angle. It just came out (June  8, 2015) and is titled "The Attack on Truth: We have entered an age of willful ignorance". Check it out. I think it describes John's "thinking" pretty well.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Attack-on-Truth/230631/

"...some left-wing postmodernist criticisms of truth began to be picked up
 by right-wing ideologues who were looking for respectable cover for
their denial of climate change, evolution, and other scientifically
accepted conclusions. "

"There is simple ignorance and there is willful ignorance, which is
simple ignorance coupled with the decision to remain ignorant. Normally
that occurs when someone has a firm commitment to an ideology that
proclaims it has all the answers — even if it counters empirical matters
 that have been well covered by scientific investigation. More than mere
 scientific illiteracy, this sort of obstinacy reflects a dangerous
contempt for the methods that customarily lead to recognition of the
truth. And once we are on that road, it is a short hop to disrespecting
truth."

Ron said to John:

...All I was trying to playfully point out is that by virtue of considering ALL ideas equally and sifting through them with a critical eye, you are going to have to deal with the assholes pranksters fools And the simple minded. You know, Morons.