[MD] Julian Baggini: This is what the clash of civilisations is really about

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:06:20 PDT 2015

Hope you feel better soon, Ron.

Denying climate change is simply idiotic.  How much more directly
experiential can you get, than the weather?

But the fact that there is a large body of opposition to the view that
"reducing carbon" ought to be our goal, I think is perfectly fine.  After
all, a given fact has differing interpretations and the fact of climate
change does NOT mean that our smartest response is fighting against it.
Perhaps our resources would be better spent adapting to it.

But Baggini's whole point is just this:  if you don't give people something
to believe in, they will find something to believe in.  So why not come up
with some ideas to believe in?  Rather than spending our time rejecting
belief, per se.

John

--
"finite players