[MD] Dissertation re/Pirisig and Postmodernity

Andre Broersen andrebroersen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:18:15 PDT 2015

Hi Everyone,
Arlo:
Below is a link to a dissertation, Nina Michaela von Dahlern (2012) at the University of Hamburg, "The Ethical Foundations of Postmodernity ? Communicative Reality and Relative Individuals in Theory and North American Literature".

Beginning (primarily) on page 140 ("Deconstructing Traditional Values: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ? An Inquiry into Values") and continuing through at least page 240 (including "The Creation of a New Ethics: Lila ? An Inquiry into Morals") is some interesting discussion on Pirsig.

to which David replied:
What a fantastic find, Arlo. Thanks.

Hello David and Arlo:
I thank Arlo as well for finding this piece on ZMM and Lila but wonder if both Arlo’s and dmb's enthusiasm last as they actually read the way von Dahlem treats both ZMM and Lila?

I haven’t read the hundred odd pages von Dahlem has devoted to ZMM and the MoQ in their entirety (am at page 229) but, reading what she has to say from the perspective of this "communicative foundationalist ethics” which she thinks is perhaps the latest saviour but  I sincerely wonder if she understands the MoQ or its implications as I sense that it is beyond this narrow, advocated perspective. All I read is an attack on the intellectual level (which Phaedrus represents) as developed in Pirsig’s MoQ. There appears to be a great psychological/interpersonal thing going on from the S/O perspective and there appears to be little by way of interpersonal relationship understanding from the MoQ perspective.

Am interested to hear your comments/thoughts. Perhaps I completely misunderstand.
Andre