[MD] Julian Baggini: This is what the clash of civilisations is really about

david dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed May 27 12:16:31 PDT 2015

Charlene Seigfried, paraphrasing William James,
says intellectualism “became vicious already with Socrates and Plato, who
deified conceptualization and denigrated the ever-changing flow of
experience, thus forgetting and falsifying the origin of concepts as
humanly constructed extracts from the temporal flux.”

Ron Kulp said to John:

Aristotle says something similar in book alpha of metaphysics, that we seek to render the unintelligible intelligible. We impose limit on experience in order to better understand it.  I think that is different than a will for Absolutes. I think that's where some disagree with Royce. (Ron later added:) This rendering of wholes out of the many bits of experience is an artistic act so that it is a will toward greater meaning not so much a truth in terms of absolutes.

dmb says: "Royce is defending himself against James' criticism of what the latter called "vicious abstractionism" or "vicious intellectualism". Royce is trying to deny the contrast between intellectualism and pragmatism by reframeing it as "a contrast between the will that is loyal to truth as an universal ideal, and the will that is concerned with its own passing caprices". "The only question is whether the will really means to aim at doing something that has a final and eternal meaning," Royce says.   Please notice two things here. Royce has construed pragmatism as concerned with passing caprices, which is incorrect if not slanderous. The second thing to notice is that Royce wants to distance himself from intellectualism but the claims he makes are exactly what James meant by "vicious abstractionism". Truth that is "loyal to a universal ideal" and truth that has a "final and eternal meaning" is also a pretty good way to describe the views that Pirsig rejects in Plato and Hegel.

It's also interesting to see that Royce's view is centrally motivated by his personal wishes and yet his personal wish is that reality was far more than just personal wishes. He says, "individualism is wrong in supposing that I can ever be content with my own will in as far as it is merely an individual will." Royce is contrasting that with a different will, one that "defines the truth that it endlessly seeks as a truth that possesses completeness, totality, self-possession, and therefore absoluteness." (Sounds like Schopenhauer.)   It's very seductive language and just about anyone can understand, at least to some extent, Royce's desire for complete, total, and absolute truth. But there are two major problems here. 1) Epistemologically speaking, we just cannot have that kind of truth and so Royce is literally asking for the impossible. 2) Holding beliefs contrary to the relevant evidence or unsupported by the relevant evidence is unethical. It's dishonest. It's intellectually sleazy, so to speak. (And endorsing that basic ethical standard is one more reason to reject the notion that pragmatic truth is just about individual caprice.)

Royce's notion is truth is so highly idealized and elevated that it might as well be god. That's the essence of vicious intellectualism, the denigration of actual experience and the deification of abstract concepts. Reification is the error of granting existential status to the products of human reflection, of mistaking thoughts for ontological realities. Idealists and theists aren't the only ones who commit this error, of course, but they're far more obvious about it.

Thanks,

dmb