[MD] Two Minds

Emily Schober emily_parodi at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:29:56 PST 2015

I hesitate to put my two cents in. I really feel like I have nothing of value to say.  But I feel a compulsion to add just a bit. I've been reading so much lately on Presence (The Power of Now, The Art of Presence, The Happiness Trap) etc..., that while this is not "traditional" (aka, Western) philosophy, and I've taken no *formal* courses on philosophy (just a few books here and there over a 24 year span since I reached "adulthood" at age 18), and then here and there some coursework in Anthropology, Sociology, Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Buddhism, and a Masters in Cognitive Psychology. So I am no philosophy expert and my apologies that I am not contributing a wealth and breadth of knowledge to the group. However I still think it's relevant. I find everyone's comments interesting and I understand about 50% (approximately) of the comments made, and I still have not yet read "Lila" (my bad!). I'm still reading ZAMM for the third time in two years, and trying to grasp it fully, which I may never fully do.

So my definition of presence here is just this, and something to just mull over in your quiet moments standing in line or waiting in traffic for the light to turn  green ... "Presence is the cessation of thought without loss of consciousness." (Eckhart Tolle, "The Art of Presence"). So I feel that giving any opinion on consciousness or intellectual levels would just be my (completely uninformed at that) opinion. Even after I read all the books recommended on this forum, really put an effort into it, and sunk my intellectual "teeth" into it, that it would still be only that, MY opinion.

So in an effort to avoid sounding too hypocritical, that's all I have to say on this matter. In the end, it's all really interesting, but, we'll never really know "truth". It's fun to have a stab at it though, and to see what thousands of years of great minds and thinkers have come up with! :-)

Namaste. In peace.
Emily Schober