[MD] Two Minds

Austin Fatheree austin.fatheree at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 12:28:10 PST 2015

Arlo,

Thanks for the recommendations.  They are on the way to my kindle!

Let me explain a bit about why I am currently at my current conclusions.
I've been thinking a good bit not just about the levels, but also about how
each operates.  What is the gas of each level?  What makes it go?  What is
the value that quality illuminates?

Pirsig has this to say about biology vs inorganic in Lila:

Biological evolution can be seen as a process by which weak Dynamic forces
at a subatomic level discover stratagems for overcoming huge static
inorganic forces at a superatomic level. They do this by selecting
superatomic mechanisms in which a number of options are so evenly balanced
that a weak Dynamic force can tip the balance one way or another.

Pirsig, Robert (2013-11-06). Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals (p. 167). Random
House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

So what makes the inorganic 'go', what it values are this forces of
nature.  Patterned forces are valued in such a way that enough patterns are
produced by dynamic quality that biology can emerge.

Now the biological level has access to the inorganic and regularly uses
patterned forces to its advantage, but the patterned forces aren't what
makes the biological 'go.'  Instead we find an economy of fitness.  A
variety of fitness generated by dynamic quality produces a social layer
that has access to both the biological and inorganic, but again, a new
economy emerges.  The social values resources...a literal economy...where
institutions and grouping emerge that seek to allocate resources in away
that spreads and grows the institution. Valued resources allocation emerges
in states and banks and all kinds of social institutions that increase the
quality of resource allocation.  We can say at this point that the economy
at the social level is fundamentally different than at the biological level
because mere fitness is not the driver of the quality at this level.

This is where my uncomfortableness came from with the intellectual emerging
out of the social.  Perhaps I'll see better how this occurs in the
recommended titles, but as I see it now, the emergence of intelligence is
not  built on an economy of resources.  It is an alternate form of fitness
where an organism can observe time and make valuable
inferences(predictions) about the future.  This manifests itself in things
like language where we see a set sound producing and expected meaning.
Since intellect came after social the intellect can use all kinds of social
symbols and concepts, but it isn't exclusive.  Intelligence also gives us
basic prediction like 'If I drop this rock it will fall' and later leading
to, after valued prediction emerges from dynamic quality, 'If I drop this
rock it will accelerate at 9.8m/s'.  The ability to make this kind of
observation increase the fitness of the organism that can avoid falling
rocks.

I would agree that most of our important intellectual constructs have a
social component to them and so many of the conclusion can probably be made
whatever the answer is.

Again...thanks for the recommendations and I'll revert once I get through
them.,

Austin
ᐧ