[MD] Fwd: ACLA 2016: "Poetry as Practice, Practice as Poetry"

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:01:34 PDT 2015

Arlo,

On 9/3/15, ARLO JAMES BENSINGER JR <ajb102 at psu.edu> wrote:
> [John]
> Well thanks, I guess.  Altho "poetry' is a category fraught with opportunity
> for misinterpretation...
>
> [Arlo]
> How is this 'criticism' any different than painting? Or music? Or sculpting?

Jc:  First, that particular statement was not a "criticism", it was a
caveat.  The criticism comes later.
Second, poetry is different from painting, music and sculpting in that
it requires a higher-order brain to comprehend.  Anybody can hear
music, or see a painting or feel a sculpture, and have a good sense of
what they are - empirically speaking.  But poetry depends upon
linguistic and cultural interpretations that can be different for
different listeners.

> [John]
> You could call hollywood's ouput "poetry" I suppose, and thus illuminate the
> way in which new ideas influence social patterns.

Jc:  I probably should not have used the term hollywood.
Technologically formed and shared entertainment is much more broadly
distributed today.  But Hollywood stands for the industry as a whole,
in my lexicon.

> [Arlo]
> Or... we could call Hollywood's output "cinema" and have a separate dialogue
> about the way the art of cinema (like any "art", including "poetry") can
> introduce dynamic elements into static dialogues.

Jc:  that sounds like a better way of putting it and a better
discussion to have.  I definitely agree that cinema with its use of
music, image and words can have a more powerful affect than even the
best poetry.  Furthermore, the shared spectacle contains subtle social
reinforcements which the lone reader of poetry does not.  So it seems
to me that poetry has been largely outmoded by the modern "art of
cinema".

> [John]
> But who talks like that? Certainly not "us" and certainly not them.
>
> [Arlo]
> It baffles me that this brief call for abstracts hits you as 'them' speaking
> in some manner different than 'us'. Does the author of the call below use
> Pirsig's terms? Or course not. But I certainly feel like I 'talk' more like
> 'them' than whatever your conflation of 'us' would imply.

Jc:  yes, and it really is an ongoing problem - the vocabulary frames
the thinking.  How does one think new thoughts with old vocabulary?
How does one put new wine in old wineskins?  It's a long-standing
dispute.

I'm speaking of a simplified dichotomy between MoQ and SOM.  I see
those intellectual patterns, as having different social followings.
Is there a problem with that?

Arlo:

> To note, the idea of "aesthetic exercise", as introduced below, really seems
> aligned with Dewey's notion of "art as experience". Indeed, when they put
> forth "a broad conception of 'practice,' both spiritual and aesthetic", I
> can't help but think this expansion of 'practice' is identical to the thesis
> in ZMM.

Jc:  Poetry as practice, practice as poetry.  I dunno, Arlo.  It seems
to me like something very shallow, parading as if it was deep.  All
poetry is practice.  Not all practice is poetic.  I'm not sure what is
being added by the academic dissection of either, to either poetry or
practice.  It doesn't seem very poetic or practical, because for one,
it depends upon a line created through "expertise" and thus is all a
bit self-seving.  But I might be wrong.  it was just a gut reaction,
of my own.

> [John]
> So I'm not sure whom you are addressing, but I do appreciate the effort.
>
> [Arlo]
> My assumption is that most people here are interested in discourses that
> circle, overlap, parallel, or dance with the specific ideas put forth by
> Pirsig. If a philosophical discourse on the poetics of lived experience
> doesn't interest you, John, I apologize for wasting your time.

don't.  I have plenty of time, and little useful to accomplish.  I'm
more concerned that you're wasting YOUR time, Arlo.  I appreciate you
spending it upon the lowly likes of me and the unheralded and silently
echoing halls of MD.

As to my interest in philosophical discourse on poetics, etc, yeah, I
admit to that degenerate vice.  But far better to be actually doing
poetically, than talking about it, neh?  But nevermind me.  I'm doing
neither so I can't talk.

John

PS:  And i'm not real comfortable with Foucault.  I dunno why, yet.