[MD] Does a guitar have quality

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 6 09:16:54 PDT 2016

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 17, 2016, at 1:44 PM, ngriffis <ngriffis at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> This thread started with that guitar of Tuk's. I would like to add
> the idea of "Art" to the discussion. I see it as if  there are three centers
> of manifest Quality.

Ron responds:
Associating Art with the topic harkens back to an old theme at the discuss. Orpheus. His Lyre more
Specifically in this case.
As one interpretation of the classic myth tells it was given to him by Apollo, God of music, truth and light.
It is told that Hermes fashioned the Lyre for Apollo.
Hermes is considered a god of transitions and boundaries. He is described as quick and cunning, moving freely between the worlds of the mortal and divine. As music/Art does.
Socrates in Plato's Phaedrus argues that Orator's can produce a similar effect as Art, music and poetry on the listener. That it has a persuasive effect and if one was not careful they
Can be persuaded to hold certain
untrue unhealthy and unwise beliefs
And ideas.
Robert Pirsig points to this as where
Art lost out to Truth in our modern world in Zen and the Art of motorcycle maintenance.
After an arduous attempt to recover
Art from analytical Truth he finds that
Truth is a kind of Art, something critical thinking cobbles together,
It's worth meaning and beauty forever tested in the now of experience and as Socrates stated
Evoking a feeling like good music
Harmony and joy. He called it a love for wisdom.

.