[MD] still going?

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:26:39 PST 2016

Hi John,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:02 PM, John Carl <ridgecoyote at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>

>> Dan:
>> Do you have any choice in the matter? The way I see it, the reward is
>> in the work itself.
>

> Jc:  This is true, and today I came to the decision that I don't have any
> trouble finding work.  I just have trouble finding money for my work.  So
> I've decided to give up on money.  Actually, I think I decided that a long
> time ago and now I'm just realizing anew what that means.  And so far, it's
> going good.  I got two new jobs, yay!

Dan:
Yeah I can sympathize with that. Money for work. Gave up on that a
long time ago myself. Now if only I could get the electric company to
agree...

> Dan:
>

>> Take my writing. I put a great deal of care into
>> my stories. Does anyone notice? Probably not. I look around me and I
>> see bestselling novels that are little more than drivel.
>

> Jc:  Amen.  Did you ever read Harry Potter?  It was pure crap.  I couldn't
> believe it was so popular.  Goes to show you.

Dan;
I tried reading the first book in the series. Put my failure off to JK
Rowlings being a woman. Cannot seem to relate to women authors. Others
tell me I have to keep reading it the book and it'll get better but
hey. Same thing with 50 Shades. No luck. But they sell like hotcakes.
Those books. And they make movies outta them.

> Dan:
>

>> Poorly
>> plotted, shallow one-dimensional characters, hard to follow story
>> line. And yet readers lap them up.
>>

> Jc:  We can only conclude that people are dumbing down.  The phenomenon
> isn't completely surprising, but ghastly nevertheless.

Dan:
People in general? Or just those tasked with feeding us drivel?

> Dan:
>

>> Now, does that mean I'm gonna follow suit and write trash? No. No more
>> than you're gonna stop putting your best into your work just because
>> no one seems to notice the care you put into it. We haven't a choice.
>> And why is that?
>>

> Jc:  Because caring is its own reward.  Yes, absolutely.  I gotta remind
> myself of that.  I guess part of my problem is that doing bad is also its
> own reward!  heh.

Dan:
Bad by which measure? I know a fellow who grows high potency marijuana
in one of his spare bedrooms. I don't normally partake since my mind
is muddled enough on its own but on one of my visits to his place he
insisted I try just a toke. Now I've puffed on a little wacky backy in
the past but nothing like this stuff! Jesus... it was like another
drug altogether!

Since recreational marijuana is illegal in the state where I live I
suppose my buddy is breaking the law. Yeppers. I think he might be
breaking bad. But I've seen his setup. Nothing but quality. So when we
talk about doing bad I think we might have to qualify that insomuch as
what exactly is bad?

> Dan:
>

>> As for the kid... if you can't trust him to leave the nickels and
>> dimes alone, what happens when a greater temptation arises?
>>

>JC:
> Yeah, I know the slippery slope argument.  The way I look at it,  the kid
> is trapped in a world where he HAS to have money, but the ones that control
> the money play by very strict rules designed to maximize advantage for
> those who have the money.

Dan:
We all have to have money. If of course we don't wanna crap in the
weeds and eat outta Dumpsters. That's why I do what I do and you do
what you do. But there is nothing inherently wrong with having money.
We live in a world where anyone can make a big old stinking pile of
money. That doesn't mean money is all there is, however. I think lots
of people get trapped in that upward spiral where enough is never
enough. Money makes em think they're somebody. And conversely those
without any cash in their pockets are nobody.

I've been thinking about the woman who called the dealership
complaining someone stole change outta her car. I don't know who she
is or a thing about her. Did she realize a kid would lose his job over
it? And if she did, is she some sorta righteous bitch who figures her
shit doesn't stink? Was the kid right stealing her change? No. On the
other hand, there're little foibles we all tend overlook each and
every day. Rolling through stop signs. Going a few miles an hour over
the limit. Picking up a quarter we find lying on the ground. Or in
someone's ashtray.

It all reminds of Lila finding herself at that restaurant after having
ordered several drinks and then discovering that her wallet is
missing. The manager could've been a hardass. Called in the law. Had
her arrested. Made a scene. Instead, he gave her a bye. Even though he
had to know it'd never happen he gave her the address and told her to
send the money whenever she got where she was going.

So yeah. It is a real slippery slope we're all making our ways across.

JC:
> That's why it's gonna be a Trump/Sanders
> election next year.  People know this and they are pissed off about it.

Dan:
I'm pretty much apolitical so far as that goes. Yeah, maybe the
climate is right for electing Bozo but the winds can shift real sudden
like. Guess time will tell.

> Take care,

You too,

Dan