[MD] Annotations to LC

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:42:37 PST 2016

Tuk, all,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM,  <mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net> wrote:

> Tuukka:
>
> I'm glad you compiled LC, although you might find me to be glad for
> the wrong reasons. You have good intentions. I have good intentions.
> And I need to talk about the MOQ with people in order to make progress
> with my research. I'd like to thank the people I discuss with. I'd
> like them to be glad for their contribution. But sometimes it seems
> like I just reject their input in such a way that they probably don't
> depart with a smile on their face.

Dan:
You know what they say about good intentions. But either way, LC was
enjoyable. I find these discussions worthwhile as well. I have no real
need to be here other than intellectual stimulation. And I am sure we
all suffer blind spots, so I shouldn't expect so much from others.
Thing is, though, you seem intelligent. Well, let's say at least
you're not a raving lunatic. Maybe you're one of those people who are
too intelligent. You know what you know and ain't nobody gonna change
that. Happens.

> Once I was in a night club and the DJ came to me on the dance floor
> and gave me drink tickets. He didn't say anything but he was all:
> "Looks like you could use these to buy a round for your friends! No need to
> mention me. *wink*"
>
> I did offer a round to my friends and myself. But I still remember the way
> he gave me the tickets. I could probably do that once or twice if I really
> felt like that. But he seemed like he could do that any time.
>
> If I tried to do something like that often, I'd probably give the
> tickets in such a way that people would feel like I'm going to get
> angry if they don't buy the drinks. Even if I wouldn't. Which feels
> kind of sad.

Dan:
I guess I'd be more disappointed than angry. Or should I say people
might feel I was disappointed. Sort of like me giving you a gift and
you turning it down. In a sense, that's just plain bad manners, even
if you dislike the gift. And yes, that kind of behavior is rather sad
too. It seems like an unneeded violation of decorum. Like you do it
just because you can. Because what you have is better than anything I
could give you and you know it.

> I wish I could present my metaphysical views like the DJ handed out those
> drink tickets, but I don't know how to do it. Pirsig could do something like
> that. That's what made him a bestselling author.

Dan:
I think it is hard to say exactly what made him a bestselling author.
The times, maybe? Sure, he's a wonderful writer. He cares. But there
are lots of wonderful writers that care and they never achieve that
sort of status. William Faulkner had to support himself working at a
power plant while he wrote. His work was well received but he had
mediocre sales, at least until he won the Nobel Prize for literature.
Joseph Heller worked in advertising. T.S. Elliot was a banker.
Vonnegut worked at various occupations while writing, including car
sales.

I write on account of Robert Pirsig and his interest in LC. I had such
fun putting that book together and then, it was over. I muddled around
a bit and then one day I thought, hey dude, you can write your own
books. Might want to give that a try yourself. Just saying.

Thank you,

Dan

http://www.danglover.com