[MD] Rhetoric

David Harding david at goodmetaphysics.com
Tue Nov 22 03:53:04 PST 2016

Hi dmb,

Beautifully put and indeed so beautifully it's to the point where it appears even Tuukka was moved by your words.  It’s clear that you have a great understanding of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and I doubt I could retell it better myself…

However, praise aside, I do wonder if you agree with the words you write when you’re continually referring to what ‘Pirsig says'.  Do you agree with Pirsig?  What’s your opinion?

On this point I’m not so sure but in your first paragraph you write that a traditional understanding of rhetoric and sophistry is fine as there are so many hucksters out there.  But on this I disagree.  I would argue that it’s precisely because of our traditional understanding of these terms that there are so many hucksters and deceivers out there.  What’s missed by Socrates is that he, and not the Sophists, is being the deceptive one by claiming he doesn’t know what is good.   That’s why I think it’s our current day Metaphysics, built upon Socrates assumption, that creates this deceptive attitude. One in which the words we speak can be meaningless so who really cares about them anyway? And Quality forget that - what’s that?  Furthermore, how can you be honest and speak to the wholeness of experience without perceiving and speaking directly of its Quality?  And how better to continually do this than with a Metaphysics which points out that all things are built upon it, and so are it?

But you were probably just giving a throwaway line and I’m reading too much into this but figure it’s worth a chat anyway :)