[MD] To Pirsig and all: Why are sociality and intellectuality strictly subjective?

mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net
Tue Oct 18 16:13:52 PDT 2016

Craig,

> I think we need to distinguish between what is "epistemological"
> objective/subjective and what is metaphysical objective/subjective.
> Pirsig is concerned with the latter.

Then why didn't Pirsig say that to the faculty of the English
department of Montana State College? The citation I provided is
followed by a detailed list of the reaction options Pirsig considered.
None of them include making this kind of a distinction between the
epistemological and the metaphysical.

Furthermore, what do you mean by this distinction, given that
epistemology is a branch of metaphysics, not an alternative to
metaphysics?

> Consider rectangular pieces of paper on which there are pictures of
> dead Presidents, living queens and whatever the euro has.
> That is their objective status.
> Their subjective status is money.

This doesn't mean anything to me.

Regards,