[MD] Why does Pirsig write everybody's right about mind and matter although his theses imply the opposite?

Tuukka Virtaperko mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net
Thu Oct 20 04:40:31 PDT 2016

Dan,

okay, looks like I should've studied Lila's Child better. However, if
it's true that "matter comes before mind" and "mind comes before matter"
then the MOQ is inconsistent. Obviously, the MOQ is not intended to be
inconsistent. Furthermore, resorting to a notion of "complementarity"
doesn't make the MOQ consistent.

In order to make the MOQ consistent, the statements "matter comes before
mind" and "mind comes before matter" must be assigned to different
contexts. In the citations you provided, Pirsig seems to make a
rudimentary such assignment by implying that ontologically and/or
epistemologically mind comes before matter whereas morally matter comes
before mind.

But if it's moral to believe matter to come before mind it cannot be
moral to also believe mind to come before matter unless it's moral to be
inconsistent. And scientists are highly unlikely to find it moral to be
inconsistent.

Therefore Pirsig's rudimentary context assignment implies that the MOQ
is ontologically and/or epistemologically bad philosophy. Why would he
intentionally imply that? The implication seems unintentional.

A more appropriate context assignment would seem to be: "Subjectively
mind comes before matter but objectively matter comes before mind."
However, this implies that Pirsig's theory of static value patterns is
objective. Is that a problem?

Thank you very much,

Tuk