[MD] Pirsig relation query

ARLO JAMES BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Oct 4 13:03:48 PDT 2016

Hey All,

So the other day while watching the Penn State - University of Minnesota football game, one of my friends said "Hey, there is a player on the Minnesota team named 'Pirsig', wonder if he's related to Robert Pirsig?". Of course, I immediately added that Robert Pirsig's family was from Minnesota, and Robert's father Maynard worked at the University of Minnesota. In addition to 'Pirsig' being an uncommon surname, having this student be so close geographically would seem to lend possibility to family relation.

The student, Jonah Pirsig, is from Blue Earth, Minnesota, not far to the south of Minneapolis, Born May 4, 1993, son of David and Kristin Pirsig. He is an education major.

For those of you who have had some contact with the Pirsig family and/or friends, is there any family relation here at all? If Maynard had a brother, one of his grandchildren? Or is this just coincidence?

Arlo