[MD] questions about cover art

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Sun Oct 14 05:13:58 PDT 2018

Hi Chrisoph

It may be that the depiction of the lotus is that it is in a
pre-flowering state - as is the Quality idea at the time of ZAMM's
publishing. Hard to know really but it looks like it could represent a
combining of the Romantic and Classical into a unified whole.
Just speculating really but that's what it suggests to me.

Cheers

Horse

On 07/10/2018 20:48, list wrote:
> [...]
>
> The original cover:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance#/media/File:Zen_motorcycle.jpg <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance#/media/File:Zen_motorcycle.jpg>
>
> Images of the lotus plant and leaves:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Nelumbo+nucifera&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNmuDBi_XdAhXQfd4KHa9bCdUQ_AUIDigB&biw=1564&bih=1158
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> Christoph
>

>> On 6/10/2018, at 12:25 AM, Horse <horse at darkstar.uk.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christoph
>>
>> The flower half of the motif on the cover of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (ZAMM) is a Lotus Flower which has a special place in Buddhism. According to Wiki:
>> "In*Buddhist*symbolism the*lotus*is symbolic of purity of the body, speech, and mind as while rooted in the mud, its*flowers blossom*on long stalks as if floating above the muddy waters of attachment and desire. It is also symbolic of detachment as drops of water easily slide off its petals."
>> The flower is Zen, the spanner the motorcycle.
>>
>> Something else that may also be of interest are the markings on the spanner.
>> On my ancient copy of ZAMM, on the shaft of the spanner I can see 2 impressions from the 'casting'. One is 5/16W and the other is 3/8BSF. The first is for Whitworth (or British Standard Whitworth) and the second is for British Standard Fine which relate to bolt/thread sizes and were used extensively on British motorcycles, before and during the 1960's.
>> I don't know if this is to symbolise Pirsig's links with the UK or if it's just an artist's attention to detail. It does seem a bit incongruous when you think that Pirsig's motorcycle was Japanese which would likely have used the metric system. It may be some other additional symbolism or it may be nothing!
>> Food for thought?
>>
>> Have a look at:
>> https://www.ebay.com/gds/Understanding-Whitworth-BSF-AF-BA-and-metric-tools-/10000000003499809/g.html
>> for more background info
>>
>> There are other good references to be found if you search using Google.
>>
>> Good luck with your research and feel free to post again with other questions or ideas
>>
>> Horse
>>

>> On 02/10/2018 21:35, list wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working on some research about the various editions of Pirsig’s books and I was wondering if anybody would know what flower/plant is depicted on several of the covers. I would suspect that it somehow relates to the philosophical ideas.

>>> Archives:
>>> http://lists.moqtalk.org/pipermail/moq_discuss-moqtalk.org/