[MD] Best Wishes to All of My Old Friends

Scribe Scribe at Club-Hub.com
Tue May 5 17:12:29 PDT 2020

I'd say you nailed it pretty well, Dan.
I guess the more I learn the harder it all becomes to justify or excuse it
all. By the 1930s thousands of African Americans had been lynched in a 100
year campaign of state sponsored terrorism. During the 1930's Sons and
Daughters of the Confederacy erected statues and monuments around
courthouses and public places as reminders of who was really in charge.
Neither uppitiness nor any assertion of constitutional rights was tolerated
among those deemed unworthy. As a kid I saw Whites or Colored Only signs
over water fountains and restrooms. Public schools and many restaurants were
segregated until my senior year in high school. As a small town newspaper
reporter in the 70s I interviewed George Wallace as he ran for president
from a wheelchair.
As Dan so eloquently suggests, race remains a stain on our national soul.

An interesting spot you've picked there Dan. I don't get to that area, ever,
but the access to the St. John is very nice. It would make a very Pirsigian
epic journey to travel it. You can get all the way to South Florida and out
into the Caribbean, can't you? You thinking along those lines. I could maybe
meet you around Lake Kissimmee in the After Life.
Krimel