[MF] the way forward for MoQ discussion lists

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Thu Dec 8 17:21:35 PST 2005

Hi Folks

I've been a bit busy of late getting the MD list up and running properly, fiddling with site
pages etc. - hence the lack of contact.

My take on our current position re: where do we go from here:

The original idea of getting a number of lists up and running, dealing with general areas
of discussion, has had some initial support but without others to help in running them
this won't happen. Also, I think that trying to get members to post to the relevant list
would be an uphill struggle. I'm not opposed to setting up lists if someone volunteers to
run it, but it will have to be managed properly and not end up as another general
purpose list - i.e. MD MkII.

Spawning huge numbers of mailing lists and seeing which survive is impractical, time
consuming and, IMO, ultimately pointless. It'll end up as a big mess.

Sending out all posts received in one day in a single hit and limiting the number of posts
allowed is similarly pointless. Restricting the number of posts that members can send in
daily won't work on a voluntary basis - it hasn't in the past and I can't see it happening in
the future. And I'm not prepared to spend half my life either nagging people to limit their
output or moderating individuals who ignore my requests. If you want to read posts at a
particular time then the easiest means of achieving this is to filter off all MD/MF posts
into separate mailboxes and read them when you feel like it.

Given the above, it looks like the way forward will be to continue with MD as it is and
introduce a bulletin board forum. I took a look at the forum that Gert-Jan set up and
thought that it looked pretty good - thanks G-J. It's the sort of thing that I wanted to set
up some time (years) back but the facilities weren't available. Fortunately they are
available now. Additionally, once I get a bit of time, I'll also set up a WIKI - probably from
the moqtalk domain.
I'm not entirely sure what to do about MF as it will probably become irrelevant with the
setup outlined above but I'm not opposed to keeping it going if there's a good use to
which it can be put.

The above isn't set in stone so if you have comments to make then please feel free to do
so - but please do try to be constructive.

Thoughts?

Horse