[MF] the way forward for MoQ discussion lists

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Fri Nov 4 04:06:15 PST 2005

Hi Folks

Just needed to do a quick check on some tweaks I made to the list
config, but while I'm on.....

Some interesting ideas have been floated and one of the things I'd
really like to look at is what do the members expect when they sign up
to one of the discussion lists.
I suppose this would produce as many answers as there are members but we
should be able to boil it down to some basics.
Personally, when I join a mailing list I prefer it to deal with what's
specified in the description and aims of the list and that members
(generally) keep to this. This is why the suggestions Sam put forward
were fairly specific. I also prefer that lists are uncensored,
unmoderated and free flowing.
The problem we have at the moment, as I see it, is that there are too
many agenda's to be accommodated on just 2 lists. Everyone has there own
interpretation of the MoQ and how it generally applies to the world,
which is great, but instead of everyone discussing on one list for a
political, religious, metaphysical etc. interpretation it would be great
to try and seperate them out and see if there's some common ground in
there somewhere.
Sure, there's going to be some crossover but this can be reduced by the
list administrator and members. If it's felt that a line is being
crossed, with regard to subject matter, behaviour etc. then a
suggestion that the argument is taken to the appropriate list (or off
list) can be made. The list admin can enforce this if they feel it's
reasonable. This way there is also little need of censorship.

For instance, if there's a list for people who've just read ZMM or Lila
and want to ask a few questions for clarification, answers given should
be according to what Pirsig has written not what others wish he'd
written. Suddenly being leapt on by certain members and told that Pirsig
has it wrong or that they're political view is all mixed up doesn't help
and is the fastest way for newbies to get out fast.

Another suggestion could be that new members start off on a single
introductory list before being let loose in other lists. Just a thought.

Finally, the most frequent comments I get are that there is too much
traffic and that what there is is often of no interest. Splitting the
lists up should go a long way to sorting this out.

Any comments?

Horse

PS if anyone's having any problems with the new list then please let me
know so that I can fix it.