[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 13:36:32 PST 2006

Kevin, Ted, Sam and all:

Kevin said:
You expressed confusion and a lack of understanding with the meaning and
value others seem to have.  And it sounds like you're convinced intellect
trumps these things...

dmb replies:
Yea, I think intellectually justifiable beleifs are better than beleifs that
aren't able to stand up to intellectual scrutiny. Who doesn't? As Pirsig
points out, its not that intellectual descriptions are any truer than social
level beliefs in any absolute sense, but they're more dynamic, more open to
change. And whiule I think lots of the conflict in the world today can be
understood as a conflict between these two levels of understanding, my
central concern at the moment is simply to get you to explain what you mean.

Kevin continued:
...But it's your concern with right-thinking and a person's responsibility
to others that really interests me.  After quoting Sam Harris' opinions on
religion and the religious, you wrote, "Harris points out that there is
really no other area of life where people are allowed to avoid scrutiny and
its gotta stop." And then you wrote the following...

dmb replies:
Right-thinking? I have a rather simple concern here, Kevin. Honesty.
Intellectual honesty and the courage that it demands. I'm saying that nobody
should be let off the hook in a place like this. Are we not philosophers?
Are we supposed to allow religious statements to go unexamined and
unchallenged simply because they are religious? No, of course not. I really
don't see how one could make a valid case to the contrary. I mean, in a
forum such as this it seems unfair to make statements and then get upset
about it when another asks for some kind of explanation or otherwise
scrutinizes that statement. Don't you think?

Kevin asked:
Are you asking me if I think you're deluding yourself?  What would you have
me do if I did think this?

dmb answers:
The point in saying that I have a loving relationship with Zeus and have
faith in the belief that there is a giant diamond buried in my back yard
(Harris's examples) is to provide a case that is somewhat analogous to yours
in terms of its emtional importance to the believer. For people in our
culture its pretty natural to be a Christian and believe in that God. Harris
changes the content from Jesus to Zeus and from Heaven to a giant diamond in
order to expose the distinction between emtional satisfaction and the
contents of belief. See? It also exposes the taboo. Nobody is going to be
offended or hurt when the skeptic points out that diamonds just don't get
that big and Zeus is a mythological figure. See? He's trying to take the
emotional attachment and cultural bias out of the picture for a moment to
shed light on more familiar beleifs and the tatics involved in avoiding
criticism.

Ted writes, to David, and Kevin:
Kevin, I think David is arguing more against people like me here.  I  think
in David's eyes you have the delusion, it is I who am inclined to 'respect
the taboo against challenging' the delusion.   By David's definition,  I'm
currently killing my sister by not fighting against her delusions  enough.
So, as I think we found before, I tend to agree with David the MoQ is a
better intellectual model of reality than "God is Love", but apparently
unlike David, I have a sense of symmetry that says - perhaps I also have a
delusion, perhaps I think my delusion is better than his.  Maybe WAY, WAY
better.  But I would not want to be scrutinized, and asked to justify by
beliefs to any intellectual panel.  And I realize that  symmetry, fairness,
the Golden Rule, Truth, Justice, and the American Way require that must
grant those same rights to have one's own delusion to  everyone else also.

dmb says:
Your sister's story is interesting, Ted. Thanks for posting about that. I
lived in Ann Arbor in th4e mid '80s and still remember it fondly.
Anyway,... I'm not necessarily saying Kevin or religious people in general
are deluded, I'm just saying that delusions can't be discovered or exposed
when our assertions and statements are walled off from inspection. I'm
saying that intellectual honesty requires a frank and open discussion. It
demands that we be allowed to critized one another's views, don't you think?
Since there is no final arbitor of the truth, all we can do is put our ideas
out on the table for everyone to see, to grapple with and by this process
try to figure out which views are better. Sure, it can be a bit painful to
sit before our little "intellectual panel". That's where the need for
courage enters into the picture, no? It probably goes without saying, but I
certainly wouldn't claim any kind of exemption from this rule nor do I claim
any kind of talent for this kind of honesty or courage. I'm just saying the
principle is sound. In fact, I'm a little disturbed that this assertion
doesn't have universal appeal in a forum like this, but at least Ted agrees
that...

Ted continued:
"..it should be OK to criticize, I absolutely agree that we who think we
have a better understanding should have a voice, we should not be silenced.
But we have no right to unilaterally decide that, since our thinking is
better, we should probe and root out the God force wherever we find it,
right?

dmb says:
It seems like the second sentence undoes the first insofar as it is really
just a negative way characterize CRITICISM and the CRITIC as excessive and
authoritarian. See, I think this is the sort of thing that reinforces the
taboo. It implies that there is something wrong with the critic, that his
criticism is based on malice and arrogance and is therefore unsound. But
that's not a valid defense, is it? That would just be a way to avoid the
debate. The critic should be engaged and defeated intelledtually, not just
dismissed with slander or insult. This will probably seem overly defensive,
but I gotta say I'm really not trying to "root out the God force". As I
understand it, the MOQ is anti-theistic, but basically equates DQ with a
mystical God. I'm very interested in mythology, comparative religions,
psychology and these things all flow into conversations about God. So rather
than root it out, I very much like to discuss it. (Have you seen my paper,
"Fun with Blasphemy", at robertpirsig.org yet? I suppose its nasty enough to
make a priest's head explode.) Anyway, I'm just saying that the taboo
against criticism tends to frustrate the ability to have that conversation.
I'm just saying that, in terms of intellectual validity or philosophical
respectability, it doesn't matter how deeply held or deeply felt our beliefs
are.

Ted said:
I think it's a more hopeless, like a catch 22 position, like, you can lead a
horse to water, but you can't make him drink.  I've tried to argue it with
my sister, as I've detailed in past posts. We can argue with Kevin, or try
to explore his position, but I doubt we'll change it much. We seem to live
in different worlds, almost with different languages, and ways of seeing the
world.  But it comes a point where I say, OK,  I have to respect the other
guy, too.

dmb says:
Yea, it does seem like there is a real rift. I think its part of the larger
conflict between social and intellectual values. There's a similar rift
between the two political parties in the US and its getting pretty bad these
days. Each side thinks the other is dead wrong about nearly everything. Last
night I heard a talkshow host compared the conflict betweens liberals and
conservatives to the conflict between Sunnis and Shiittes. He said its
getting to the point where people might get violent, smash each others faces
in or even do murder. And a while back I heard a guy say that the US was on
the verge of civil war. Personally, I think that's a bit over the top, but
its bad enough that such things can be said in public. Despite all that, I
guess I'm saying no we don't HAVE TO respect the other guy's views. We can
and should respect the guy or gal, but its open season on everybody's
assertions and claims. No exceptions. Respect for somebody's views has to be
earned. We need only respect views that are respectable.

I also have to say that I don't mean to pick on Kevin, who seems like a
genuinely nice guy. Its not personal. Maybe he's been taking heat from me
that should really be directed at Sam. There seems to be a similarity among
theists on this frustrating point. This will probably look like petty
revenge, but Sam's recent posts put this tatic on display pretty clearly.
Insofar as I want you to understand my complaint, these examples are
irresistable. When Marsha challenged one of Sam's theological assertions
about love, he responded by saying...

"Hey Marsha, don't let me lead you into thinking you have anything to learn.
Screen me out, you don't have to read a single word I write. (Easiest thing
in
the world to do if you use Outlook Express - put me in the 'blocked senders'
group - then you'll never have to be exposed to me again. Rest content in
your
'experience' and let it direct you as you wish. If I'm just an entirely
negative
source of SQ to you - fine, leave me be. Just don't try and engage me with
your
'baggage' either - seems to me like you're working out some pretty heavy
karma
there, and I don't particularly enjoy being the place where you have your
dump."

Likewise, Sam was offended by my statements about the "God is Love" sign and
said...

"You won't take it from me, so why don't you start exploring the links
between emotion and intelligence that are currently being written about by a
number of significant (non-religious but still sensible) philosophers. Try
Martha Nussbaum's 'Upheavals of Thought' for how and why emotion is linked.
...Oh, hang on, we've been here before.... that's when you pretended to have
read
the book, wasn't it? ...Sigh. Same old tea, sloshing round the same old cup.
Back to lurking.

Beyond the insults (Ironically delivered in defense of divine love) the
first thing I noticed was the evasion tactic contained in both salvos. Sam
is telling Marsha to ignore him, in effect to remain silent about any
disagreements she has with him. Her criticism is dismissed as shit,
basically. He's telling me that he will go away, that he'll go back to
"lurking" and dismisses my criticism because I'm an ignorant, a liar and a
purveyor of boring old tea. (Just for the record, I'm an ignorant liar who
drinks coffee. In America, tea is for little girls and old ladies, although
I do like the ocassional citrus tea. I was just opening a box of tangerine
orange Zinger when, as if to prove my point, I found a little pink pamphlet
on women's heart disease.) Anyway, in both cases Sam seems to be suggesting
that he's being persecuted rather than scrutinized or criticized or
challanged. Rather than respond to the content of the disagreement or
otherwise criticize the critic, Sam is just inventing excuses to avoid the
debate. And rather than embrace the opportunity to persuade others or
sharpen his arguments, he just wants it all to go away.

This is the sort of evasive tactic that has frustrated me for a long time.
I've drawn Kevin into this little drama because of his lasting desire to
find a place for theism and faith within the MOQ, which is not quite as bad
as trying to find a place for atheism and skepticism within the Baptist
church.

Thanks.

dave (not quite as offensive as I'd like to be) buchanan