[MF] Where is metaphysics in the MOQ?

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 09:02:52 PST 2006

Steve, Matt,

May I chime in?

Steve, that's an interesting metaphor, your triple helix of pairs.  I see in it
knowledge, language and wisdom.  I see knowledge as metaphysics/what
is "unknown," language as rhetoric/linguistics and wisdom as mysticism/what
is "known."  And I take knowledge to mean that which arises from experience
but that is limited to the capacity of the brain.  And I take language to mean
that which finds expression in thought, word or deed.  And I take wisdom to
mean that which arises from experience but which is essentially limitless
because it is not restricted to the capacity of the brain.

I'm reminded of Pirsig's statement, "The Metaphysics of Quality [...] claims
that all legitimate human knowledge arises from the senses or by thinking
about what the senses provide."  He makes this statement while saying that
the Metaphysics of Quality subscribes to [...] empiricism." (Lila, p. 98)

If the Metaphysics of Quality is what is claims to be, the best road map of
reality, then isn't it reasonable to expect it to provide for an understanding of all
that has ever been, all that is and all that ever will be?  For me, this
understanding needs to explain the interrelationships between knowledge,
language, wisdom and metaphysics itself.

So, for starters, where is metaphysics in the Metaphysics of Quality?

  Kevin Perez